Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Optional: Tour rope (a rope with a loop for each child to hold on to)
- Optional: Piece of bread, some birdseed, or other food for a bird or animal
- Optional: Camera or smartphone
- Optional: Story book
Preparation for Activity
- Explore the outside of your building and find good places to visit, for example, notable trees, shrubs, and landscaping; flowers; gardens; wilder places; a fountain; a memorial garden; hidden places; the dumpster; a grounds shed; and compost bins.
- Optional: Choose a suitable location to have story time outside. Preview the book so you can tailor your comments during the walk (see suggested story books in Activity 5, Story, Preparation for Activity).
- Optional: Locate a good place to leave food for a wild bird or animal on your grounds, such as at the base of a tree or under a bush. Obtain food to bring with the group.
Description of Activity
Invite the children to find a buddy and hold hands (or, use a tour rope so that no one gets lost). Lead the children on a tour of the grounds. Provide information about interesting things you see, such as recycling or compost bins (ways we take care of the earth) or a memorial garden (a way to remember special people). Be mindful of the adult worship services, if appropriate.
Optional: If you have brought birdseed or a piece of bread to leave for an animal, demonstrate placing the food.
Optional: Take photos during the tour. Make a photo book afterward, using an online service such as Shutterfly.
Including All Participants
Find places to visit that are accessible to all the children (and adults) who may be in the group.