Activity 5: Everybody Pictures
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Blank Canvas for Everybody Pictures, and white copy paper
- Color construction paper, approximately 11x17 inches
- Glue stick and permanent marker
- Color markers and crayons for children to share
- "Goodbye" music and equipment that allows you to pause
- Optional: Sticky foam shapes or a variety of stickers
Preparation for Activity
- Follow directions on Leader Resource 1 to design the blank canvas for the Everybody Pictures. Copy your design. Make enough copies for all the children who may attend, plus a few extra.
- Glue each "Goodbye, Chalice Children!" page onto the center of a piece of construction paper.
- Choose music with a "goodbye" theme, such as "You've Got a Friend in Me" from the movie Toy Story, or "So Long, Farewell" from the movie The Sound of Music, and arrange a way to play it so that you can easily start and stop repeatedly. Note: If the group is large, you may want to choose a couple of songs to play.
Description of Activity
Children draw "Everybody Pictures" that include a drawing from each child.
Invite the children to the activity table. Give each child a blank "Goodbye, Chalice Children!" sheet. Show them the markers and (optional) stickers or foam shapes. Say, in these words or your own:
Today we're making Everybody Pictures! When the music is playing, you will draw something on the picture in front of you. It could be something you like, or something you'd like to share with a friend, a pretty color, a crazy shape-whatever you want. But keep it simple, because after a minute I'm going to stop the music, which means that it's time to pass the picture to your neighbor-and for you to get a new picture! We will go around until everyone has added something to each picture. You can draw the same thing each time, or something different every time. Use your imagination, and have fun!
Start the music and encourage the children to start drawing. After a minute or so, pause and have the children pass the pictures to the left. Continue drawing, pausing, and passing until each picture has made it all the way around the circle. Say, in these words or your own:
Now everyone has an Everybody Picture to take home with them! This picture will help you remember Chalice Children, everybody who was here together, and all the good times we've had.
Encourage the children to help clean up. They can put away supplies, throw away trash, recycle scrap paper, or wipe marks off the tables. Stack the Everybody Pictures near the door for families to take home.
Including All Participants
If any children have difficulty with drawing, consider having the group glue foam shapes or place stickers on the Everybody Pictures.