Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story book
- Optional: Leader Resource 1, A House Blessing
Preparation for Activity
- Choose a story from the following suggestions and adapt the text as needed for the congregational setting:
- Maisy Goes to Preschool by Lucy Cousins (2011). Preschool for Maisy means a day filled with friends and things to do, from the time she hangs her coat on a special peg to the time she says goodbye.
- Will I Have a Friend? by Miriam Cohen (1989). A classic take on the first day of school.
- Optional: Instead of a story book, take pictures of the places you plan to visit and create your own picture book for the congregation, or create a blessing for the building using Leader Resource 1, A House Blessing.
- Review How to Read a Story Book, under Resources in the Introduction.
Description of Activity
Hold up the book and say, in these words or your own:
Here's how I am going to read the story. Does anyone need to move so that they can see and hear?
This will help children move if they need to and then get settled before the story is started, so they don't interrupt the reading. It also serves as a reminder that if they stand or sit right in front of the pages, no one else can see. Invite them to find a place to settle so that everyone can see. When all are ready, read the story. When you finish reading, ask if anyone has thoughts about the story that they would like to share.
Including All Participants
Seat a child with hearing or sight difficulties near the reader.