Activity 4: Story
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story book
Preparation for Activity
- Choose a story from the following suggestions:
- Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle, 1991. Monica's father fulfills her request for the moon by taking it down when it is small enough to carry, but it continues to change in size.
- Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes, 2004. In this award-winning picture book, a kitten pursues a big bowl of milk, not realizing it is the moon.
- Moon Plane by Peter McCarty, 2006. A young boy sees a plane overhead and imagines himself in it, traveling all the way to the moon. What does he see on his way?
- Moon Man by Tomi Ungerer, 2009. The man in the moon looks down on the happy, dancing people on Earth every night, wishing he could join them.
- Review How to Read a Storybook, under Resources in the Introduction.
Description of Activity
Hold up the book and say, in these words or your own:
Here's how I am going to read the story. Does anyone need to move so they can see and hear?
This will help the children move if they need to and then get settled before the story is started, so they don't interrupt the reading. It also serves as a reminder that if they stand or sit right in front of the pages, no one else can see. Invite them to find a place to settle so that everyone can see. When all are ready, read the story. When you finish reading, ask if anyone has thoughts about the story that they would like to share.
Including All Participants
Seat a child with hearing or sight difficulties near the reader.