Alternate Activity 1: Worship Planning
Activity time: 60 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 3, Sample Order of Service
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Worship arts resources such as Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook; Singing the Journey, supplement to the hymnbook; and Closing readings from various Wi$dom Path workshops
- Optional: Computer with Internet access
Preparation for Activity
- Talk with your congregation or group’s professional or lay leadership or worship committee to gain support and any necessary approvals for a Wi$dom Path worship service.
- Copy Handout 3, Sample Order of Service, for all participants.
- Use Handout 3 as a guide to gather worship arts resources for the group to use. If the group will have access to the Internet, plan to have volunteers browse The Wi$dom Path online, search the Tapestry of Faith curriculum database, or explore the UUA online Worship Web for potential worship elements.
- Title a sheet of newsprint “Wi$dom Path Worship,” and post.
Description of Activity
Plan to lead a worship service for your faith community, congregation, or group. Set a date based on your conversations with congregational and/or group leadership. Distribute Handout 3, Sample Order of Service, and read it together. Explain that the handout merely offers suggestions; the form and content of the worship are entirely up to the participants.
Ask participants to appoint a leader to facilitate the planning and role assignment process. Offer to serve as scribe for the group’s planning. Suggest that they agree on assignments and deadlines, including a rehearsal time. Provide support as requested. When the time comes for the worship service, enjoy!