Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 3, Money Stories
- Writing paper and pens
Preparation for Activity
- Read the six stories in Handout 3, Money Stories. Select three to share with the group. Identify a volunteer to read each of these aloud; give volunteers the text in advance.
- Copy Handout 3 for all participants.
Description of Activity
Explain that you will share excerpts from personal money stories told by members of the UUA President’s Council. Distribute the handout. Note that the stories selected are only a few examples; they do not represent the full diversity of experiences and money stories among UU leaders, UUs in general, or participants in this workshop.
Invite participants to take note of parts of the stories that catch their attention. Distribute paper and pens to participants who wish to take notes.
Invite volunteers to read the stories you have selected. Allow a pause between each story for participants to process and reflect. Lead a discussion using these questions:
- What parts of the stories caught your attention?
- What did the stories have in common?
- What parts of the stories resonated with your personal experience?
- What parts of the stories were most alien to your experience?
- What parts of the stories piqued your interest or imagination?