Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "The Cambridge Platform"
- Handout 1, Summary of Agreements from the Cambridge Platform, 1648
Preparation for Activity
- Print out the story and read it several times so you will be comfortable presenting it.
- Copy Handout 1, Summary of Agreements from the Cambridge Platform, 1648.
- Optional: Arrange for volunteers to read some of the excerpts aloud. Give them their assignments and a copy of Handout 1 in advance.
Description of Activity
Read aloud or present the story "The Cambridge Platform."
Distribute the handout. Mention that the preamble you offered in the story was the original 1648 wording, but for clarity and ease of reading the excerpts on the handout are provided from an 1850 "translation."
Consider each excerpt in turn, dividing the time to allow consideration of all sections. Invite participants to discuss how the agreements defined in 1648 compare to your congregation's contemporary practices.