Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Leader Resource 2, An Heretical History
Preparation for Activity
- Read the transcript in Leader Resource 2.
- Write these questions on newsprint, and post:
- What was at stake?
- Why was the orthodoxy of belief so important to the early church?
- What are our modern orthodoxies in contemporary society? In Unitarian Universalism?
Description of Activity
The video, "An Heretical History," traces some of the early streams of thought about the nature of God, Jesus, and salvation that continued through the history of the liberal church, eventually surfacing in Unitarianism and Universalism. Read the transcript from Leader Resource 2. Then, engage a discussion using the posted questions as a guide.