Activity 1: Heresy Word Association
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 1, Definition of Terms, for all participants.
- Print out Leader Resource 1, Background - Heresy. Familiarize yourself with the material so you can present it.
- Arrange for volunteers to read aloud the definitions in Handout 1, Definition of Terms and, if possible, provide them with the handout.
- Post a blank sheet of newsprint.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to free-associate with the word "heresy." Record contributions on newsprint. Allow about five minutes for brainstorming.
Then, distribute Handout 1, Definition of Terms, and invite volunteers to read the definitions. Present background information about heresy from Leader Resource1, Background - Heresy.
Invite participants to review the words they offered as responses to the word "heresy" earlier. Ask:
- Which ones align with the definitions and background we heard?
- What words do you want to modify or add?