Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 2, Unitarian Universalism around the World
- Wall map of the world
- Push pins or sticky notes
Preparation for Activity
- Display a world map where all participants will be able to see it and reach locations where they will put a push-pin or a sticky note. (Consider using an alternative to the traditional Mercator projection map such as the Peters Projection that shows relative land size without distortion or a south-up projection that places the North Pole at the bottom of the map.)
- Print out Leader Resource 2, Unitarian Universalism around the World. Cut along the lines so the story of each location is on a separate slip of paper. If you are not using push pins, tape each slip to a sticky note.
- Be sure you can locate on the map all the locations mentioned on the Leader Resource.
- Optional: Faith in Action, Where in the World Are Unitarian Universalists? asks you to display this world map, with the locations of Unitarian Universalism already marked, for the congregation to see. If you plan to do the Faith in Action, identify a bulletin board or other wall space for the map now. You may wish to gather participants and conduct this activity at that wall, rather than in the usual meeting space.
Description of Activity
Introduce the activity:
I am going to distribute information about Unitarian Universalism in a number of places outside of the United States, invite you to read the information aloud, and then locate the region on the world map.
Distribute the slips of paper from Leader Resource 2. Invite participants to read their slips aloud one at a time. After each slip has been read, invite the reader to attach the slip to the world map in its appropriate location. After all the slips have been read and posted on the map, invite participants to offer additional information about these or other Unitarian Universalist congregations or organizations with which they are familiar.
Including All Participants
If attaching slips to the wall map might be difficult for one or more participants, invite one person to attach all the slips.