Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Leader Resource 2, Universal Salvation to Universalism
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 2, Universal Salvation to Universalism and become familiar with its contents.
- Write these questions on two separate sheets of newsprint, and set aside:
- The prime years for the development of Universalism in the United States closely parallel the development of the country itself-1770 to the Civil War. What themes of the United States' political or cultural history in those years might have helped Universalism thrive?
- Much of Universalism's growth happened on the edge, or frontiers, of the young United States. What might make Universalism an attractive faith for new settlers in the country's hinterlands?
Description of Activity
Present or read aloud Leader Resource 2, Universal Salvation to Universalism. Invite comment and questions about the material. Then, post the two questions you have written on newsprint. Invite participants to reflect on the questions for a minute or two and then invite responses.