Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copies of Story 1: The Wise Fool (one copy for leader, plus several copies for participants who may wish to read along)
- Optional: Microphone
- Optional: Pulpit or lectern
- Optional: Bell
Preparation for Activity
- Review the story in advance so that you can present it effectively.
Description of ActivityRead the story "The Wise Fool" aloud. Provide copies of the story to people who prefer to read along.
After sharing the story, invite participants to take a moment to quietly center themselves, to let go of any tension or emotions that are not needed for the next hour, and to breathe deeply. You may ring a bell at the beginning and end of this silent time, or simply invite people into the silence and then gently bring them out.
After the silence, invite participants to discuss their responses to the story. Keep the discussion brief and focused, allowing time for your own concluding remarks. Ask:
- In what ways have you perceived the sacred in your everyday places and everyday experiences?
- What makes it hard to pay attention to spirituality in the everyday?
- What can help you be mindful of the spiritual aspects of your everyday experiences?
Conclude with the quote from My Dinner With Andre that introduces this workshop. You may also wish to make some of the points found in this workshop's Introduction.