Activity 2: The Story Of The Shape Of The Spirit
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copies of Story 1: The Shape of the Spirit (one copy for leader, plus several copies for participants who may wish to read along)
- Optional: Microphone
- Optional: Pulpit or lectern
- Optional: Bell
Preparation for Activity
- Review the story in advance so that you can present it effectively.
Description of ActivityRead the story "The Shape of the Spirit" aloud. Provide copies of the story to people who prefer to read along.
After sharing the story, invite participants to take a moment to quietly center themselves, to let go of any tension or emotions that are not needed for the next hour, and to breathe deeply. You may ring a bell at the beginning and end of this silent time, or simply invite people into the silence and then gently bring them out.
After the silence, invite participants to discuss their responses to the story. Keep the discussion brief and focused, allowing time for your own concluding remarks. Ask:
- Does this story sound familiar to you? Why or why not?
- Is spiritual partnership something you see many examples of?
- How do you think society would be different if people paid as much attention to being spiritually healthy as they do to being physically healthy?
- How do you think having a "spiritual buddy" or spiritual friend would affect your own spiritual practices?