Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint sheets from Workshop 1, Activity 5: Naming Our Experiences
- Low-stick masking tape (or other means for posting newsprint sheets)
- Clock, watch, or timer
- Optional: Microphone (preferably cordless)
Preparation for Activity
- If you have them, locate and post the newsprint sheets from Workshop 1, Activity 5: Naming Our Experiences.
Description of Activity
Remind the group that they began the workshop series answering the question "What brought you here?" Now it is time to focus on what they will carry forward with them. Invite participants to form groups of three and spend six minutes taking turns answering the question, "What will you take from here?" Point out that this allows two minutes per person. Note that it can be a powerful spiritual practice to fully and deeply listen to someone else-not to fill our heads with what we're planning to say when it's our turn or with judgments and responses to what we're hearing, but to simply listen to another person.
After two minutes and four minutes, ring the bell to invite participants to switch speakers.
After six minutes, bring everyone back into one group. Ask for volunteers to respond to the following questions. Record responses on newsprint.
- Did you find that the individuals in your group had very different things they were taking with them, or similar ones?
- What are some take-homes that your small group had in common?
- What other things-perhaps less common-will you take home?
Show the group the newsprint sheets from the first workshop listing participants' responses to "What brought you here?" Invite participants to compare the two lists. Ask:
- How did the group's reasons for participation change over time?
- What couldn't you have predicted at the outset about the things you're taking home?
Conclude by affirming participants' motivations for participation. Express your hope that this workshop series has been a tool for deepening and growing their spirituality.
Including All Participants
You may wish to pass a cordless microphone during the discussion so that participants can hear one another better. You may also choose to read the Workshop 1 newsprint sheets (answering "What brought you here?") aloud so that people who cannot read the sheets can know their content.