Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Congregational Membership Book
- Optional: Membership packet and/or welcome gifts
Preparation for Activity
- Invite officials of the congregation-president, minister, Membership Committee chair-to attend and welcome new members.
- If new members are generally recognized in worship, arrange for that to happen on a subsequent Sunday.
- Set up the Membership Book and pen on a table at a comfortable height for signing.
Description of Activity
Introduce the activity with these or similar words:
Through this program, we have shared a lot about Unitarian Universalism and this congregation. Today, we talked specifically about the rights and responsibilities of membership in this congregation. You may or may not be ready to make that step. Membership is a real commitment, not to be taken lightly.
If you are ready at this point in your journey to join us as a member, we invite you to do so now. All that is required is signing the Membership Book to signify your willingness to share in our congregational covenant as a member.
Facilitators and invited guests should stand near the book, so they can greet and welcome each signer individually. If your congregation gives members a membership packet and/or welcome gifts, facilitators and/or guests may distribute these.
If some participants do not sign the book, assure them they are welcome to continue with the congregation at whatever level of involvement feels comfortable. Tell them whom they should talk with should they decide to join later.