Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, for all participants
- Chalice, candle, and lighter, or an LED battery-operated candle
- Appropriate stand or small table for the chalice
- Cloth or decorative covering for chalice stand
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a welcoming space, including comfortable seating arranged in a circle around a small table with a chalice at its center.
- Place a hymnbook on or near each chair.
Description of Activity
At the designated starting time, bring participants together. Invite a volunteer to light the chalice. Introduce the opening reading with these or similar words:
Mark Morrison-Reed is a retired UU minister. An African American, he has documented much of the history of the African American experience in Unitarianism and Universalism-both the positive and negative aspects. He has prompted us toward becoming a more anti-racist Association. Let's read his words, Reading 580 in the hymnbook, in unison.
Lead the reading.