Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Small worship table and cloth
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- A copy of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook
- Taking It Home handouts for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Review the Taking It Home section. Decide which extension activities you will encourage participants to do.
- Download the Taking It Home section to your computer, customize it for your group, and copy for all participants.
Description of Activity
Gather participants around the altar or centering table. Affirm the good work that participants have done in this workshop.
Distribute the Taking It Home handout. Explain that each workshop will provide a Taking It Home handout with ideas for continuing to explore the workshop's subject with friends, co-workers, housemates, and family. Mention that the Faith in Action activities included in the handout offer another extension opportunity.
Offer a benediction from Richard Jeffries, "Immortality," Reading 527 in Singing the Living Tradition or share these words of George de Benneville:
... adore in spirit and in truth the ocean of love, and the great wonders of the wisdom and power of thy God, who hath employed all these boundless, incomprehensible miracles to restore and to save thee, and not thee only, but all the human species...
Extinguish the chalice and invite participants to go in peace.
Including All Participants
Be inclusive of people with a variety of living situations-for example, living alone, with a significant other, in a multigenerational family, or with housemates-in the way you explain the Taking It Home activities.