Activity 5: Story - The Gates of the Forest
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copy of the story, "The Gates of the Forest"
- Optional: Cordless microphone
- Optional: Pulpit or podium
Preparation for Activity
- Review the story and practice reading it aloud to ensure that you will present it effectively.
- Optional: Copy the story for all participants.
Description of Activity
Tell participants that you will share a story that will guide a discussion about the purpose of ritual in our lives.
Invite participants to sit comfortably and listen to a story from the preface to Elie Wiesel's novel, The Gates of the Forest. You may wish to use a cordless microphone to ensure that all participants can hear you.
Pause at the conclusion. Then, invite comment and conversation in response to the story.