Activity 1: Forced Choices
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Forced Choices
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 1.
- For the forced choice activity, identify two sides or areas of the room, and clear a path so all participants can move easily from one side or area to the other.
Description of Activity
Tell participants you will ask them to choose between two items. In which of the two do they have more trust or confidence? With each pair, they may move to one designated place in the room to choose the first and to the other designated place to choose the second. Tell them that for the purposes of this activity, they must choose between the two.
Read each pair from Leader Resource 1. Give participants a chance to move to the space indicating their choice. After each choice, invite one or two people from each side to explain their choice, making sure each person who wishes has a chance to speak at least once in the course of the activity.
After participants have responded to all the forced choice questions, gather the group in a circle. Lead a conversation with these questions:
- What choices were most difficult for you to make?
- What would have made choosing easier?
- Were there times when you thought, "That depends on the context"?
- Did you become aware of anything about your own faith, such as where or in what you put your trust and confidence?
Including All Participants
If you cannot rearrange the space to facilitate movement from one place to another and/or any participants cannot easily move from one place to another, modify the activity by asking for a show of hands for each choice.