Part of Facing Death with Life
- Lay out black cloth on table. Fill cups with different colors of sand and place around the outside edge of the black cloth. Put chalice and candle aside.
- Write on newsprint and post:
- My name is __________________.
- What am I hoping to get out of this program?
- What thoughts and emotions come to the fore when I reflect on death and dying?
- What do I need to leave behind to be present in this group?
- Post blank newsprint and label it “Our Covenant.”
- Make copies of Handout 1, Quotations for the Common Bowl. Cut one copy into strips as indicated. Place the quotes in the bowl.
- Customize and make copies of Handout 2, Looking Ahead to Workshop 2.
- Obtain the video Up. Many public libraries have copies of the film.
- Copyright law requires that you seek permission to show copyrighted video in any context other than your own home. Seek permission from Swank Motion Pictures to show a clip from Up of fewer than 15 minutes. Contact Meghan Edwards (medwards [at] swank [dot] com; 800-876-5577). Cost is $100.
- Test equipment and speakers; queue and preview scenes 2 and 3 of Up.
- Review Arrangements to Make in Advance in the Introduction, and prepare to share any information you have with participants.
- Review Accessibility Guidelines for Adult Workshop Presenters and implement as appropriate for your group and space.