Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, "Dolores Huerta"
Preparation for Activity
- Print the story, "Dolores Huerta." Prepare to read it aloud or prearrange with a volunteer to do so, and give the volunteer the story in advance.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- What surprises or intrigues you about Huerta's story?
- What were the impediments or challenges she faced as a leader for farm workers rights?
- Why might she have felt compelled to act, despite such challenges? What was at stake, and why did it matter?
- How does her work reflect Welch's ethic of risk?
- How did her actions and those of the farm workers create possibilities for further action?
- What sustained/sustains Huerta in the face of defeat or failure of a particular action?
- Copy the story for all participants.
Description of Activity
Distribute and then read the story, "Dolores Huerta," aloud or have a volunteer to read it. Invite questions, observations, and comments. Guide a discussion using the questions you have posted on newsprint.