Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "Frances Ellen Watkins Harper"
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare to read the story "Frances Ellen Watkins Harper" to the group, or ask a participant to read it and, if possible, give the participant the story ahead of time.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- Where can we identify the cultivation of virtue in the life of Frances Ellen Watkins Harper? What caused her to take action and create change?
- Frances Ellen Watkins Harper was a Unitarian. How was the cultivation of virtue congruent with her Unitarian faith?
- In our faith today what messages do you receive about living a virtuous life? (Consider our Principles, hymns, sermons, or social justice movements.)
- What virtues do you cultivate in your life? How?
- On what roots do you draw to support your actions? Family? Faith community or tradition? Broader community? Other roots?
Description of Activity
Share the story, "Frances Ellen Watkins Harper." Lead a discussion guided by the posted questions.