Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, UUA Statement of Conscience on Ethical Eating
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Read Handout 1, UUA Statement of Conscience on Ethical Eating. The Statement of Conscience suggests some congregational actions. Find out about these or similar actions that have already begun in your congregation.
- Copy Handout 1 for all participants.
Description of Activity
Distribute copies of the 2011 UUA Statement of Conscience on Ethical Eating. Invite participants to review the statement, particularly paragraphs 1, 3, and 7 marked on the handout, and name the ethical truths or principles that underlie the statement.
- Are these truths absolute, unchanging, and pertinent to everyone in similar circumstances?
- Are they pertinent to everyone, everywhere, under any circumstances?
- On what authority do these assertions rest?
Explore some of the language that highlights people's differing circumstances, especially in paragraphs 7 and 8. How do these points affect the assertions of moral truth in the earlier points?
Explore the list of possible congregational actions and find out what actions your congregation has undertaken that support ethical eating. Participate in such initiatives, or work with your social justice committee, your parish minister, your religious educator, or other appropriate people to begin work in this area. Share the statement of conscience with others in your congregation.