Alternate Activity 1: Reflection and Conversation
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Journals or notebooks, one for each participant
- Writing and drawing materials, such as pens, pencils, fine point color markers, and color pencils
Preparation for Activity
- Set out writing and drawing materials so all can reach them.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- Recall and describe a time in your life when you struggled with a dilemma where your ethical or moral understandings seemed inadequate to address the circumstances.
- How did you resolve your struggle? How did you adapt to the situation? What new understanding or framework emerged? What behavioral choice did you make?
- What about you changed as a result of this encounter? What skills did you learn that were/are helpful for other moral struggles and dilemmas?
Description of Activity
Invite participants to respond to and reflect on the posted questions, and to draw, write, or make notations in their journal. After ten minutes, invite participants to create groups of two or three and share their reflections.