Workshop 1: Covenant
Workshop 1: Covenant
Workshop 1: Covenant
Part of Principled Commitment
In This Section
It takes years to marry completely two hearts, even the most loving and well assorted. A happy wedlock is a long falling in love. —...
Activity Minutes Welcoming and Entering Opening 15 Activity 1: Participant Introductions 10 Activity 2: Getting Acquainted 15 Activity 3:...
This first session will focus on getting acquainted and working on both a group covenant and covenants for each individual couple. If you...
Materials for Activity Pocket folder for each participant Photocopies of the following handouts (one per participant): Handout 1: Getting...
Materials for Activity Altar or centering table Cloth for covering altar or centering table Chalice and candle Matches or lighter Singing...
Description of Activity Introduce yourselves as leaders, and invite participants to take turns briefly introducing themselves. Suggest that...
Materials for Activity Handout 1: Getting Acquainted (already in participants' folders) Pens or pencils (at least one per participant)...
Materials for Activity Handout 2: Unitarian Universalist Principles and Sources (already in participants' folders) Handout 3: Workshop...
Materials for Activity Newsprint Easel Markers Low-stick masking tape Description of Activity This brainstorming exercise gives...
Materials for Activity Leader Resource 9: Refreshment Sign-up Sheet Pen or pencil Preparation for Activity Research your site to learn...
Materials for Activity Handout 2: Unitarian Universalist Principles and Sources (already in participants' folders) Handout 4: Suggested...
Materials for Activity Handout 5: Couple Covenant Worksheet (already in participants' folders) Pens or pencils (one per participant) Tables...
Materials for Activity Copies of customized Taking It Home handout (see Preparation) Preparation for Activity Review the Taking It Home...
With your co-leader, take some time after the workshop to evaluate the session and plan for future sessions. Consider these questions: What...
Materials for Activity Written examples of covenants from your congregation (one copy per participant) (see Preparation) Blank paper (at...
Description of Activity This activity can replace Activity 2, Getting Acquainted, or can be used in addition to Activity 2. Invite each...
Materials for Activity See Activity 7 Preparation for Activity See Activity 7 Description of Activity This activity allows additional time...
Affection Connection — Covenant Extend your exploration of covenants by trying one or more of these activities on your own. For Couples:...
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote: ...
Our relationships can be reflections of our faith in the universe, in people, and in each other. As Unitarian Universalists, the seven...
Together, we covenant to explore and nurture healthy communication with our partners and others in our group. We will: Listen with an open...
Communicating with a partner begins with appropriate effort and intention. This worksheet is designed to aid in that communication. Words...
The following sample promotional materials can help you attract workshop participants. Sample Congregation Newsletter Announcement Love is...
Principled Commitment is designed for partners' joint participation — individuals, whether partnered or not, cannot participate alone. We...
This letter may be mailed or e-mailed to participants ahead of time. Dear , Thank you for your interest in the Principled Commitment...
The Principled Commitment workshops can be great resources for a couples' retreat, or a short series of couples' retreats. Using the...
These suggestions are designed to help your workshops be more welcoming and inclusive. Please refer to them as needed to adapt activities...
Many people who are called "blind" have some vision. Some people may be able to read large print and move about without use of a white cane...
In the US, 1.4 million people use scooters or wheelchairs. Millions more people use crutches, walkers, braces, or canes to help them get...
Names Mailing Address Phone E-mail Names Mailing Address Phone Email Names Mailing Address Phone E-mail Names Mailing Address Phone E-mail...
Date Workshop Names ______Covenant_________________________________________ ______Humility_________________________________________...
Follow this Order of Service as you lead the opening of Workshop 1: Covenant. Welcome Chalice Lighting Principle Reading Guided Meditation...
Herz, Walter P., ed. Redeeming Time: Endowing Your Church with the Power of Covenant . Skinner House, 1999. Kellerman, Lois, and Nelly Bly...
- Workshop 1: Covenant
- Spiritual Preparation
- Welcoming and Entering
- Activity 1: Participant Introductions
- Activity 2: Getting Acquainted
- Activity 3: Program Overview
- Activity 4: Expectations
- Activity 5: Housekeeping
- Activity 6: Group Covenant
- Activity 7: Couple Covenant
- Leader Reflection and Planning
- Alternate Activity 1: Faith In Action - Covenant
- Alternate Activity 2: Sharing Couple Stories
- Alternate Activity 3: Extended Discussion Of Covenant
- Taking It Home
- Handout 1: Getting Acquainted
- Handout 2: Unitarian Universalist Principles and Sources
- Handout 3: Workshop Descriptions and Schedule
- Handout 4: Suggested Group Covenant
- Handout 5: Couple Covenant Worksheet
- Leader Resource 1: Promoting The Program
- Leader Resource 2: Sample Registration Form
- Leader Resource 3: Sample Welcome Letter
- Leader Resource 4: Leading Principled Commitment as a Retreat
- Leader Resource 5: Welcoming Participants Who Are Hard Of Hearing
- Leader Resource 6: Welcoming Participants Who Are Blind Or Have Low Vision
- Leader Resource 7: Welcoming Participants Who Have Mobility Concerns
- Leader Resource 8: Participant Contact Information
- Leader Resource 9: Refreshment Sign-up Sheet
- Leader Resource 10: Order Of Service - Covenant
- Find Out More
- Program Structure
- Leader Guidelines
- Before You Start Principled Commitment
- Facilitator Feedback Form
- Participant Feedback Form
- Principles and Sources
- Workshop 2: Humility
- Workshop 3: Trust
- Workshop 4: Dignity
- Workshop 5: Generosity
- Workshop 6: Connection
- Workshop 7: Play
- Workshop 8: Collaboration
- Workshop 9: Commitment
- Workshop 10: Love
- Workshop 11: Faith And Celebration
- Handouts in Principled Commitment
- Leader Resources in Principled Commitment