Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, "Highlander School"
Preparation for Activity
- Copy the story for all participants.
Description of Activity
Read the story "Highlander School" aloud or ask a volunteer to do so. Lead a discussion of the story, using these questions as a guide:
- How does the work of Highlander School illustrate a parallel approach to resistance?
- How is "community" key to Highlander's approach-both the community developed at the folk school and the communities represented by those at the folk school?
- How does the work of building community at Highlander transform those who participate? How does it transform society and work against racism and systems of privilege?
- What in this story inspires you or gives you hope?
- Have you ever been part of a similar experience?