Select a facilitator from the group to choose questions, read them aloud, and monitor the time. Use the Serial Testimony Protocol (Workshop 3, Leader Resource 3) to talk about as many of the following questions as possible. Note that there are more questions than your group will have time to fully explore. The facilitator should choose questions that will engage and challenge the group. Be sure to save 10 minutes at the end for synthesizing and recording your group’s reflections.
Questions About the Program
- How is the program going for you so far?
- What has been your previous experience of talking about race with people from the same racial group? When did you feel supported? What felt awkward or risky?
- Describe the places where the content of this program engages you, and when you feel disconnected. What role, if any, do you think/feel your privilege plays in that regard?
Questions About Being White
- To what degree are you self-aware of personal characteristics and identity as a White person?
- How is it possible to be antiracist without appearing to be anti-White?
- Who taught you to be "White"? How are those lessons still playing out in your life today?
- What insights did the people in the videos offer that are helpful to you? What are you left to ponder about what they said?
- How can Unitarian Universalism support antiracist work? In what ways does it sometimes fall short?
- How can White people have a conversation about racial dominance without being pulled into cycles of blame, guilt, anger, and denial?
- What spiritual practices can you create that help to dismantle the systems of racial dominance in which you were raised?
Closing the Exercise
As a group, prepare a list of statements that you want People of Color and people from racially or ethnically marginalized groups to know about your experience and lessons learned in this program, so far. Begin your list with these words: What I want People of Color and those from racially and ethnically marginalized groups to know about my experience here is…