Activity time: 60 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, About Race-Based Reflection Groups
- Optional: List of reflection group members from Workshop 3, Activity 4
- Handout 1, Reflection Group for People Who Are White
- Handout 2, Reflection Group for People of Color and from Racially or Ethnically Marginalized Groups
- Handout 3, Reflection Group for Biracial/Multiracial People
- Optional: Handout 4, Reflection Group Questions for Groups Not Based on Ethnic/Racial Identity
- Workshop 3, Leader Resource 3, Serial Testimony Protocol
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Small object or talking stick for each small group
Preparation for Activity
- Read Leader Resource 1, About Race-Based Reflection Groups. Prepare to explain the purpose of race-based reflection groups and to answer questions about the process. If you are considering not asking participants to move into racial or ethnic identity-based groups, reflect on Leader Resource 1 with your co-facilitator. If you decide not to use racial or ethnic identity-based groups, clarify together your reasons for this choice.
- Copy the appropriate handouts for all participants. (If you have chosen not to use racial or ethnic identity-based groups, use Handout 4 for all participants.)
- Review Workshop 3, Leader Resource 3, Serial Testimony Protocol. Make a copy for each small group, and prepare to answer questions about the process.
- Decide which spaces the groups will use. Groups should meet in separate rooms so they cannot hear each other’s discussions.
Description of Activity
Explain race-based reflection groups, or caucuses, using the information in Leader Resource 1. Invite each participant to choose one of three groups:
- People who are White
- People of Color and those from racially or ethnically marginalized groups
- Biracial or multiracial people or people who find that they are not able to identify with the White or People of Color groups
If you have chosen not to use racial or ethnic identity-based reflection groups, invite participants to move into the intentionally diverse reflection groups established for Workshop 3. Refer to the list of group members from Workshop 3, as needed.
Indicate where each group will meet.
Give copies of the corresponding reflection group handout to all members of each group. Give each group a copy of Workshop 3, Leader Resource 3; a sheet of newsprint; markers; and (if you choose to use them) a small object or talking stick.
Invite members of each group to read through the instructions on their handout, select a facilitator, and then follow the process on the handout. Remind them to speak from their individual experience, making notes on the newsprint of common as well as unique experiences of living in a race-based society. Tell them they will have about 45 minutes for this discussion.
About 10 minutes before the end of the activity, and ask the groups to close their group as described in the handout. Collect the newsprint lists from small groups and tell them that their lists will be shared at the beginning of the next workshop.