Activity 3: Racial/Ethnic Identity Formation
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Four Stages of Identity Formation: A Model
- Handout 2, Four Stages of White Identity Formation: A Model
- A computer with Internet access, and a large monitor or a digital projector
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Participant journals and writing implements
Preparation for Activity
- Preview the video, Introduction to Racial/Ethnic Identity Formation for Young Adults (10:23), on YouTube. Prepare to show it to the group. Test equipment immediately before the workshop.
- Read both handouts and copy them for all participants.
- Write these questions on newsprint, and post them in the room where all participants can see them:
- What insights did you gain from the information about identity development?
- What continues to puzzle you?
Description of Activity
Play the video. Pause after the information about each stage of identity development (at 4:16, 5:35, 7:10, and 8:40). At each pause, ask participants to take a minute to silently consider how their life experience reflects this stage of identity development.
Distribute both handouts. Invite participants to spend some time reflecting in their journals on their own racial identity development. Allow 10 minutes for writing.