Activity 2: Putting "White" on the Table
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 2, Putting White on the Table
Preparation for Activity
- Familiarize yourself with Leader Resource 2.
Description of Activity
Read the statements in Leader Resource 2, pairing each statement in the left-hand column with its corresponding statement in the right-hand column. Invite participants to monitor their feelings and thoughts as they listen to the statements.
Engage the group in discussion by posing these questions:
- What feelings emerged for you as you heard the list?
- How did the mention of Whiteness change each sentence?
- How would your reaction be different if the word "Asian" or "Latino or Latina" were substituted for "White" in the sentences?
- What do your reactions to this list tell you about the racial assumptions of U.S. dominant culture?