Activity 1: Putting "White" on the Table
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Putting "White" on the Table
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1 and familiarize yourself with it.
Description of Activity
Read the statements in Leader Resource 1, pairing the statement in the left-hand column with the statement in the right-hand column. Invite participants to monitor their feelings and thoughts as they listen to the statements.
Lead a large group discussion with these questions:
- What feelings emerged for you as you heard the list?
- Why do you think the mention of "Whiteness" changed the sentence?
- How would your reaction be different if the word "Asian" or "Latino/a" were substituted for "White" in the sentences"?