Activity 2: Suggestions for Dismantling Privilege
Activity time: 60 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Dismantling Privilege
- Small group newsprint lists of how privilege manifests in congregational life (from Workshop 5, Activity 4)
- Newsprint, markers, and tape for each small group
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 1 for all participants.
- Find a space for each group that will allow them to work without noise interference from other groups.
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 1 and read it aloud. Invite participants to return to the same working groups that developed the "privilege" lists in Workshop 5, and return their lists from that activity to them. Explain small group work using these or similar words:
You are invited to practice using the three-step process for dismantling privilege. The last time we were together, you worked in groups to name the ways in which White privilege manifests in congregational life. Now you are invited to go deeper: consider the questions on your handout to help you figure out strategies for addressing privilege and building new practices that counteract privilege. Groups will have 40 minutes for this work. Choose a spokesperson to share your work with other groups at the end of that time.
Give each group newsprint and markers to record their ideas and strategies. Circulate among groups and encourage them while they work. If a group gets stuck, ask questions from the handout if it helps. Give a verbal signal when there are five minutes remaining.
Have the large group reconvene and invite a spokesperson from each small group to post and share their ideas and strategies.