Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, The Bridge Poem
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1, The Bridge Poem and practice reading it aloud. Or, recruit a volunteer to read the poem aloud and give it to them so they can practice. The reading of the poem should be full of emotion.
Description of Activity
Read "The Bridge Poem" aloud or have a volunteer do so. Invite participants to share a minute of silent reflection. Then invite responses to the poem, using these questions as a guide:
- Why is Rushin, the poet, tired?
- What challenges and promises does the poem raise?
- What types of multicultural competencies are needed to respond to her plight?
- How would you minister to Rushin as a member of your congregation?