Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Video clip from Drinking from Our Own Wells, computer and projector or monitor
- Workshop 14, Handout 3, Multicultural Competence Worksheet
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Workshop 14, Handout 3 for all participants.
- Set up the computer and projector.
- Preview the video clip and fill in a copy of the Multicultural Competence Worksheet with your own observations.
Description of Activity
Introduce the video clip with these or similar words:
In November 2005, the Unitarian Universalist Association Hispanic Ministry Caucus met at Meadville Lombard Theological School (Chicago, Illinois) for a conference called Drinking from Our Own Wells. Some of the conversations were recorded. We are going to watch an overview of the conversations, as well as the closing comments.
Invite participants to watch the clip from Drinking from Our Own Wells. Then, distribute Workshop 14, Handout 3 and have participants use it as a lens to observe how the conversations in the video clip reflect multicultural competence, or lack of it.
Invite the large group to share their comments, insights, and observations after watching the video clip. As part of this conversation, demonstrate how to use the worksheet and identity map to analyze multicultural competence (or lack thereof) in Unitarian Universalism.