Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- A copy of the story "Russell"
- Timepiece (seconds)
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare to read the story "Russell" to the group.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- What events, actions, or situations have you come across that you understand more fully because of your increased understanding of race, identity, and privilege?
- What new insights have you gained since the last workshop?
- What do you understand to be the dynamics of race in your congregation? Your community? Your nation? The world?
Description of Activity
Read the story "Russell" aloud. Then invite participants to consider their own "human heart" and how it is changing and growing. Invite each person, in turn, to check-in for a minute or less. Say:
I invite you to share one insight or understanding that you have gained about race, identity, and privilege. To make sure everyone has a turn to speak, I'm going to ask you to limit your speaking to one minute. I will pass the watch to help you keep track of your speaking time.