Activity 1: Worship for Racial Reconciliation and Healing
Activity time: 45 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Worship table or designated space
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED/battery-operated candle
- Leader Resource 1, Suggested Order of Service
- Small rocks, pine cones, shells, or other natural objects
- Attractive bowl to hold objects
- Appropriate cloth and decorations for the worship table
- Keyboard or other instrument to accompany hymns
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook (or lyrics for other music you have chosen), for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Use Leader Resource 1 as a template to create an order of service. Consult with your minister and/or another congregational worship leader to plan the service. Consult with your music director or another musician to select the music. Recruit a musical accompanist and/or song leader to assist with the worship service.
- Arrange the worship table attractively. Place the chalice and the bowl, filled with natural objects, and any other decorations you have gathered.
- Arrange chairs around the worship table.
Description of Activity
Lead the worship service you have planned. Invite participants to enter into their sharing as a spiritual experience. Remind them that a central tenant of antioppression work is to refrain from challenging the validity of any other person's experience: There should be no discussion or response to any of the voices as participants speak.