Activity time: 35 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Theology and Antiracism - Latino and Latina Perspectives
- Handout 2, Parents Shouldn't Take Their Children's Race Personally
- Handout 3, We Are One
- Handout 4, Come Ye Disconsolate
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Drinking from Our Own Wells DVD, player, and monitor
Preparation for Activity
- Make copies of all handouts.
- Decide how you will divide into small groups. Ideally, there will be three to six people in each small group. You may choose to let participants form their own groups or work out another system.
- Decide which readings to use in this session. Each small group will consider the reading in one of the four handouts. If your workshop has fewer than 12 people, select only some of the readings to use. If you have more than 24 people, give some handouts to more than one group.
- Arrange for small group breakout spaces.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- Who is the author of your article (or who was speaking in the video)?
- What main ideas are addressed in the article or video?
- What did you learn?
- What part of the article or video leaves you curious or confused?
- Optional: Cue the Drinking from Our Own Wells video to the segment called "Hispanic/Latino/a Identity."
Description of Activity
Invite participants to move into groups of three to six. Give each group copies of one handout, ensuring that each group has a different one. If you have chosen to include the Drinking from Our Own Wells video, assign it to one group in lieu of a handout. Explain that the readings represent perspectives and voices of some People of Color and other people marginalized by race and ethnicity, of different genders and at various life stages. Tell participants they will receive copies of all of the handouts at the conclusion of the workshop.
Ask each group to either read their handout silently or invite one or more people to read it aloud. If one group is viewing the DVD, invite them to view the nine-minute segment twice to catch more of what is said. Give each group newsprint and markers. Have small groups work through the posted questions together and record the responses on newsprint to share with the larger group.
After 35 minutes, ask small groups to select a spokesperson, post their responses, and rejoin the large group.