Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- Which voice do you identify with? Which voice makes you want to say, "I am exactly that" or "I've done/said that"?
- Which voice do you recognize-as if to say, "I am not exactly like that, but I know someone who is"?
- Which voice do you resonate with, as if to say, "I don't know why, but that person awakens a strong feeling or memory in me"?
Description of Activity
Point out the posted questions and read them aloud. Invite participants to turn to a partner and respond to the questions, telling them they have about 12 minutes for sharing. Let them know when six minutes have passed so both individuals have time to speak.
After 12 minutes, have the large group reconvene and lead a discussion with these suggested questions:
- What did you find interesting about your partner's list? What was similar? What was different?
- What do these experiences say about the experience of People of Color and other people marginalized by race or ethnicity in a Unitarian Universalist setting? What do these experiences say about the experience of White people in a Unitarian Universalist setting?
- How do the stories you've heard connect or disconnect with your own stories?