Empowerment: One Denomination's Quest for Racial Justice 1967-1982
The Commission on Appraisal's report, Empowerment: One Denomination's Quest for Racial Justice 1967-1982, was released at the 2005 General Assembly in Forth Worth, TX.
- Empowerment: One Denomination's Quest for Racial Justice 1967-1982 (PDF, 104 pages)
- Plenary Presentation (PDF)
- Report Summary (PDF)
An email list for the purpose of discussion of the Commission's report has been created through the UUA. This is an open, unmoderated list to which anyone can subscribe.
Rather than a single, published study guide, the Commission is compiling materials created by Unitarian Universalist (UU) ministers, religious educators, and lay members for use in workshops, Religious Education (RE) classes, and other venues.
- A complete 5-session curriculum by Rev. Barbara Child (Rev. Child is now a member of the Commission but was not involved in the creation of this report.)
- A complete curriculum appropriate for an adult RE class by Connie Dunn, Director of Lifespan RE, Greenville UU Fellowship, and Patty Davis.
- Discussion Questions (PDF) by Arthur Morrison
- Adult RE lessons on the "Introduction," "Framing the Question," "Values," and "Justice" chapters by Kok Heong McNaughton
- A sermon on the report by ministerial student Roger Mohr, UU Fellowship of Clinton, IA
- Four sermons on the report by Rev. Melanie Morel-Ensminger, UU Church of Cherry Hill (NJ)