The Coming of Age Retreat Program’s mission is to provide retreat experiences for youth that will further the depth of the Coming of Age Programs at their respective congregations. The purpose of the retreats and of the Coming of Age Retreat Program is to help our youth integrate their childhood into their emerging adulthood, with a clear sense of themselves and their place in the Unitarian Universalist Church and in the world.
Retreats will help youth:
- Explore their own spirituality;
- Have a deeper understanding of Unitarian Universalism;
- Appreciate and continue the lifelong process of values and calcification;
- Recognize and accept responsibility for decision-making;
- Explore their options for service, both to their church and to the community;
- Deepen their relationship with other youth and adults;
- Come to a positive understanding of their personal capabilities and unique qualities;
- Test themselves against their own preconceived limits;
- Solidify their commitment to Unitarian Universalism.
2022-2023 retreats will be daylight events with the possibility of overnight space for those traveling long distances, and if COVID allows full weekends that may shift over the year.
- Retreat 1: Nov. 5 - Leadership Retreat - Challenge Sonoma
- Retreat 2: Jan. 20-22 - Social Justice Retreat - UU Society of San Francisco
- Retreat 3: Apr. 21-23 - Nature Vigil - UU Church of Davis
Each participant is expected to also be engaging over the year with their congregational Coming of Age Cohort.
For congregations with 3 or fewer youth, there are limited spaces in a virtual cohort for an additional fee: $50 from the family, $100 from the congregation for each virtual participant. Virtual cohort participants must register by October 3rd.
Cost: $500 per participant due by October 29th. Financial assistance may be available through your UU congregation or from the PWR Youth Program Scholarship Fund. Payment plans are available, please contact PWRregistrar@uua.org. If you or your congregation need to make a payment after registration use the online follow up payment page (Wufoo).
Cancellation Policy: All cancellations prior to final registration deadline will be subject to a $50.00 processing fee. Cancellations less than two weeks before the first retreat or no-shows forfeit entire registration fee, except in cases of hardship or emergency. Please request refunds in writing to PWRregistrar@uua.org
Questions: contact Amanda Radak at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-663-7693.
Adult Staff: All retreats are staffed by the Coming of Age Coordinator and adult sponsors from congregations attending. There is at least 1 adult for every 7 youth.
Can my youth still participate if they cannot make it to all the retreats? It is best if youth attend all the retreats. Each retreat builds on the previous retreat and relationships are strengthened among participants.