Rentals Manager - San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
Directly supervises: 3 FTE custodial staff
Classification: Exempt position, Part-time (20-25 hrs/wk)
The rentals coordinator oversees the rental of the building for inside and outside groups, including being the single point of contact for rental groups, contractual agreements, and scheduling and overseeing the custodial staff.
The First Unitarian Universalist Church is a beautiful historic landmark building located in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood of San Francisco. The Sanctuary was built in 1889 of rough-hewn granite and the Church Center was constructed in 1968 with administrative offices, meeting rooms, classrooms and a chapel. Over the years, the congregation has supported building renovations for seismic safety and accessibility. We are currently in the midst of implementing $1.8 million in various building renewal and improvement projects with funds raised by the congregation in a major capital improvements campaign.
Staff at the First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Francisco are committed to embodying the values consistent with UU principles. Respectful relationships, behavior of highest integrity and open communications will be critical to the success of the Facilities Manager position.
Reservations and revenue management
- Coordinate with the Administrator to schedule the use of the facility, including room bookings for congregational events and external rentals, according to policy guidelines.
- Meet and correspond with external rental groups to discuss space usage requirements, sign contracts, and receive payments.
- Coordinate with other staff to ensure accurate and thorough documentation of rental contracts, reservation needs (e.g. audiovisual equipment and and support), and payments.
- Track room bookings and invoicing in reservations software (EMS) and in online calendar to ensure the information is up-to-date and accurate.
- Arrange for furniture and equipment set-up to the specifications of rental groups.
- Arrange the schedules and work of the custodial team so that set-up, routine cleaning, and security are provided for church events and rentals.
- Support the Administrator in ensuring the space use contract is up-to-date and reflects current policies.
- Review UUSF rentals pricing compared to similar venues to ensure rental rates are competitive and match the market.
Custodial Team Supervision
- Supervise the custodial team and security attendants, ensuring that they know what is expected of them.
- Recruit and train custodial team members.
- Track hours of the custodial team and submit them to the Administrator for payroll.
Ethics and Values: Honours the core values of the Unitarian Universalist tradition, treating others with respect and kindness, with clear and thoughtful communication.
Initiative: Is reliable, acts with autonomy and takes initiative without being prompted by others.
Management and Leadership Skills: Is able to supervise staff, effectively recruit custodial team members, and arrange scheduling with an unbiased attitude. Establishes good working relationships with others, works well with people from diverse backgrounds.
Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small details required, resolves unanswered questions needed to address problems, keeps the larger picture in mind.
Financial competency: Is able to calculate rental fees based on policy guidelines.
Technical Expertise: Experience and/or aptitude with operating audio-visual equipment and kitchen equipment. Familiarity with building opening and lock-up procedures. Basic computer skills (e.g. scheduling and e-mail). Knowledge of reservations software and online calendaring tools preferred.
Time Management: Responds to queries promptly, uses time effectively and efficiently, respects the time of others.
Work Schedule Flexibility: Position is intended for evenings and weekends, the busiest time for rentals. Interested applicants should expect to be on-site at least two evenings per week, between Wednesday- Saturday.
Communication Skills: Aptitude for clearly providing information about building layout and safety to others. Communicates warmly and efficiently with members and friends of the congregation and outside rental clients.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to finance [at] uusf [dot] org.