Interim Director of Religious Education - Boulder, CO
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Boulder (UUCB) is seeking a full-time Credentialed Interim DRE to help us explore and transform.
Dates: July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019; possible renewal for an additional year.
Pay and benefits are based on education and experience. UUCB is in Geo Index 4 and has 272 members.
Each year, the UUCB Board of Trustees charters a Strategic Initiatives Committee to address a strategic priority. (We call them the Si! Committee; “Si!” means “Yes!”) For 2018-19, the Si! Committee will focus on our programs for children in preschool through high school. More specifically, they are being asked to
- examine current programs at our and other churches,
- evaluate these programs for relevancy, vibrancy, and overall effectiveness, and
- make recommendations to our Board of Trustees for comprehensive new programming at UUCB to be implemented the following church year.
With the partnership and supervision of the Rev. Kelly Dignan, along with our Si! Committee and a committed Religious Education Ministry Team, UUCB’s Interim Director of Religious Education will help guide the congregation in a reflective, experimental interim period focused on developing our religious education and family ministries across the lifespan. The Interim DRE will help us evaluate our current programs, build on the best of what we already have, and imagine, design, and implement a vision of RE that meets 21st-century families’ needs.
The Interim DRE will also sustain and promote the current programs that maintain the ministries of Religious Education throughout the interim period.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Program evaluation and design
- Communication, relationship building, and facilitation necessary for the visioning and reforming process
- Introduction of programs and activities that engage the imagination, develop spiritual and ethical resources, deepen knowledge of the world’s religious landscape, and connect participants to an embodied understanding of our Unitarian Universalist faith and of UUCB’s Mission
- Volunteer inspiration and recruitment
- Instructional oversight
- Administration of current (as described below) and experimental programs
Our ideal Interim Director of Religious Education:
- Has Credentialed (at a minimum) or Master (preferred) Level credentialing
- Knows the latest UU Family Ministry philosophy, trends, and curricula
- Brings a vision for faith development for all ages
- Has demonstrated success in institutional analysis and organization change
- Has a strong UU identity
- Brings a multicultural, antiracist, antioppressive lens to congregational work
- Collaborates effectively with multiple groups
- Knows how to create and maintain a welcoming space
- Supports the development of lay leaders in creating sustainable family ministry programs
- Loves children, youth, and family members of all ages
- Has excellent administrative and communication skills
- Is fluent in Google docs and social media platforms
- Has good references and relevant experience
More about Unitarian Universalist Church of Boulder.
UUCB is a vibrant and healthy congregation located in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. We are a program-size congregation with 272 adult members and close to 50 active visitors/friends. Our simplified mission is “Deepen Faith, Live Well, Enact Justice.” The congregation called the Rev. Kelly Dignan in 2015.
We are committed participants in 4-5 grade and 7-9 grade OWL. We hold Coming of Age programs every year in partnership with a nearby UU congregation, Boulder Valley UU Fellowship. Middle Schoolers attend programming during the week three times/month. The high school youth program meets on Sunday afternoons. Religious Education classes for children and youth (Nursery through Middle School) currently run during our first worship service on Sundays (9:15) after families spend some time together as worship opens.
We are committed to making concrete steps toward expanding the number of professional People of Color and Indigenous Persons on the staff at UUCB.
Please email a resume and letter of interest to PersonnelUUCB [at] gmail [dot] com
Applications open until the position is filled.