Full Charge Bookkeeper - Bellevue, WA
The Full Charge Bookkeeper at East Shore Unitarian Church is an integral part of the church’s support-staff team. They work closely with the Director of Finance & Operations (DFO), the Board Treasurer and the Finance Team to implement policies relating to all aspects of the church’s finances. The Full Charge Bookkeeper reports to the DFO. This position does not supervise other employees.
Qualified candidates should send resume and references to the Director of Finance & Operations at dfo [at] esuc [dot] org. Compensation DOE with benefits in accordance with UUA guidelines. Position open until filled.
The essential job duties include, but are not limited to, performing the following tasks in an accurate, timely and efficient manner, consistent with applicable procedures. If procedures are not available, job duties are to be performed by applying sound judgment and generally accepted accounting principles. Proper authorization and backup documentation sufficient for a clear audit trail are required for all records and transactions.
- Prepare check and cash deposit documents and deposit same at the bank.
- Record pledges, contributions, non-pledge donations and stock donations.
- Communicate pledge balances to donors as requested. Send periodic donor statements per procedures.
- Set up and maintain customer records. Process customer payments in Accounts Receivable.
- Set up and maintain vendor records. Request W-9’s as needed. Process vendor invoices and checks in Accounts Payable.
- Monitor project and department expenditures to ensure budget compliance.
- Set up and maintain all records in Payroll, including employee, tax, time off, additions, deductions, direct deposits, W-2 and other. Process and track employee benefits.
- Process scheduled and special payrolls.
- Payroll liabilities and reporting: Prepare forms & reports, input data and make payments and tax deposits.
- Set up and maintain all records related to General Ledger, including GL Chart of Accounts, GL Projects, GL Budgets, CN Fund codes, AR Fees, PR Cost Centers and others.
- Perform all GL month end tasks: Enter, import and post all sub-ledger transactions and close all sub-ledger modules. Prepare and enter all recurring, one-time, accrual, reversing, correcting and adjusting general ledger journal entries. Run monthly financial statements and perform monthly reconciliations, including bank reconciliations and balance sheet accounts to detail reconciliation. Submit to DFO then Finance Team for review and approval.
- Perform all calendar and fiscal year-end procedures.
- Maintain all electronic and paper files in a logical and coherent manner.
- Prepare and submit all required tax documents and returns, including vendor 1099’s and 1096, employee W-2’s and W-3, State Excise Tax Returns, Unrelated Business Income Tax Returns, property tax reports, donor tax-deductible contribution statements and any other required documents.
- Maintain confidentiality with respect to pledges, contributions, employee data and in areas that would usually require discretion.
- Communicate with team and committee chairs regarding the current status of their budgets and transactions.
- Advise the DFO or Treasurer of any observed anomalies.
- Assist with audits.
- Prepare and submit reports as requested by the DFO or the Treasurer.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the DFO.
- Proficiency with accounting software as well as Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Knowledge of GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).
- 3 – 5 years full charge bookkeeping or staff accountant experience.
- Trustworthy and honest.
- Very organized, detail-oriented, efficient and productive.
- Ability to follow directions, prioritize tasks, exercise sound judgment and perform job with minimal supervision.
- Able to work well with a variety of people.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Good stress-management skills.
- Excellent attendance.
- Ability to learn quickly and independently.
- Valid driver license.
- Accounting degree.
- Knowledge of and experience in fund (nonprofit) accounting.
- Familiarity with ACS Church Accounting Software.
Time and Compensation
This is a full time, exempt position with benefits. Work hours are weekdays, with some flexibility. This position is paid using the UUA Bookkeeper salary range, found on uua.org.