Children’s Religious Education Coordinator - Fremont, CA
Mission Peak Unitarian Universalist Congregation (MPUUC) is seeking a part time Children’s Religious Education Coordinator (RE Coordinator). The ideal candidate should have excellent organizational skills, be enthusiastic about helping our 34 children and youth explore UU principles in fun and engaging ways, and should be able to collaborate with the Children and Youth Religious Exploration (CAYRE) committee and our minister. Mission Peak is a vibrant religious community right in the heart of the Bay Area’s Silicon Valley. There is a lot of enthusiasm surrounding our RE program and we are excited to welcome a new RE Coordinator into our congregation.
- 20 hours per week average. Flexible on how hours are spent, depending on week or month’s requirements
- Sunday hours from 9AM to Noon with one Sunday off per month
- Required once-a-month meeting with CAYRE committee (on a weekday evening) and periodic meetings with Minister. Additional meetings as needed.
- 4 weeks off in Summer (including 4 Sundays)
The RE Coordinator reports to a supervisor appointed by the Board of Trustees, with a contract approved by the Board. Responsibilities are conducted primarily in conjunction with the Children and Youth Religious Exploration (CAYRE) committee.
Salary and Benefits
Salary of $16,000-$23,000/year depending on applicant’s qualifications. Plus $500 in professional expenses. A 401K retirement plan is also offered after 1 year of employment. Salary is in accordance with the UUA guidelines.
- Has background experience working with children or a degree in education or comparable experience
- Has strong organizational and planning skills
- Has strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Is a team player with minister, staff and volunteers
- Has knowledge of, or is willing to learn how to collaborate using G Suite (Google Apps)
- Has knowledge and experience with standard office computer programs and social media services
- Exhibits flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm
- Is knowledgeable of Unitarian Universalist principles, practices and culture or other liberal religious education programs
- Is skilled in developing curriculum and creative programming
- Demonstrates an ability to balance leading and collaborating with individuals as well as committees
Description of Job Responsibilities
- Recruit and train RE teachers and youth advisors.
- Ensure that there are teachers and assistants scheduled for every Sunday necessary throughout the upcoming semester.
- Coordinate and distribute teaching schedule.
- Adapt, distribute, and oversee RE lesson plans from CAYRE approved curricula.
- Each week, contact teachers, youth advisors and nursery workers for up-coming Sunday
- Work with CAYRE committee to lead, inspire and engage the entire congregation - children, parents, and other members - in the development and execution of outstanding educational experiences that reflect our values.
- Attend monthly CAYRE committee meetings.
- Communicate with parents and the congregation as a whole about RE happenings via e-mail, social media, web page blog and/or the weekly newsletter.
- Provide RE info to church administrator for Order of Service each week.
- Find substitute teachers, youth advisors, and nursery workers when necessary.
- Support RE teachers and youth advisors in scheduling, planning, and preparation.
- Ensure RE classroom bins are adequately supplied.
- Update RE teacher training packets.
- Ensure that all children and youth have current registration form on file and in classroom bin.
- Keep in contact with the Methodist religious education person
- Attend monthly supervisor meetings.
Primary Sunday Responsibilities
- Open classrooms and unlock classroom supply cabinets.
- Ensure newcomers are welcomed and oriented and families are greeted.
- Ensure all children get to their classrooms safely.
- Maintain records for RE attendance.
- Periodically check in on classroom teachers for aid and supervision.
- Check that paid nursery workers are following their contract (arrive/leave on time, etc)
- Check and lock up classrooms.
As Time and Expertise Permits, Secondary Responsibilities May Include
- Research potential RE curricula; work with CAYRE committee on Curricula selection, planning, and evaluation.
- Advertise special programs and events.
- Support volunteer coordinators with:
- Our Whole Lives (OWL) or Coming of Age (COA) programs.
- Annual rehearsed pageant play or service with the children and youth.
- Yearly youth led service
- Planning 2 youth retreats each year
- Maintain RE library of curricula
- Occasionally tell a children’s story during service.
- Help coordinate occasional intergenerational services.
- Attend quarterly Worship Associate committee meetings as needed.
- Attend Personnel, Ministry or Operations Council meetings as needed.
- Maintain professional contacts with other district RE educators.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and a resume with contact information and references to rejobsearch [at] mpuuc [dot] org.