Roots, Reflections, Relationships - An Environmental Justice Journey
Type of event: Training
Sponsor: Pacific Western Region of the UUA
Led by retired DRE, Katie Covey, this is a week long UU "mission" style trip to Pasadena, CA where a group of 25 youth and adults will partner with Throop Unitarian Church and other community leaders to explore the theme of environmental justice, all the while focusing on developing ongoing relationships, learning skills, and engaging in hands on justice work in solidarity with local experts and advocates.
- Reflects UU values
- Spiritually grounded, reflective, and transformative
- Meeting people where they are at / asking what they need
- Develop relationships and ties, repeating the visit (optional for participants) over the course of several years
Potential highlights include:
- Environmental justice 411, activist, and advocacy training for all participants.
- Spiritual practices, led by our RoRE² spiritual director, Rev. Jae Scott
- Permaculture garden work on the church site focusing on accenting an urban environment with "living art."
- “Eco Breakfast Club” a coalition of 20+ eco-groups, that work for policy change in Pasadena.
- “Repair Cafe,” a project run by Transition Pasadena that builds community and encourages people to hang on to what they already have.
- Visit to the Environmental Advisory Council.
- Free Food Garden with "Friends in Deed," a local organization that provides services to the most vulnerable populations.
- Evening of discussion/questions/learning about climate change and what individuals and municipalities can be doing to mitigate global warming with leaders from Cal Tech and Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- Evening at the observatory.
- “Conscientious Projector.” Film night with Q & A after.
- Arroyo (local stream) education / clean up day, followed by time at the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center.
- Beach time!
- Memorial Park free concert series in the Levitt Pavilion and picnic dinner on the lawn.
- Help Hill Street Seed Library with seed packaging.
- And much, much more!
$550 per participant. Find information about PWR youth scholarships.