Covenanting: A Practice of Spiritual Leadership
Type of event: Training
Sponsor: New England Region of the UUA
Important update: Due to COVID-19, all our in-person events will either be cancelled or converted to an online format. We will update as soon and often as possible about which ones. We appreciate your patience.
The Covenanting workshop will be converted to a two-part online series: 9:30-11am Saturday, March 21, 2020 and 7-9pm on March 31st.
We frequently talk about Unitarian Universalism as a covenantal tradition, as opposed to sacramental or creedal, but what does that mean exactly? Most congregations have written covenants and many recite their covenants at weekly services. Living the covenant, however, is more than knowing or saying words. It assumes embodied practices that knit us to each other and to something larger than ourselves.
This workshop invites your team into a deeper awareness of the practice of covenant as part of Spiritual Leadership. Specifically you will:
- Explore that space in community life between “group rules” and “individual autonomy”
- Reflect on the differences between behavioral and theological covenants
- Consider shifts in your congregation’s practices based on this understanding of covenant
- Identify concrete ways congregations and the Association can and do practice covenant and the barriers that get in our way
Covenanting is part of the New England Region’s focus on The Practices of Spiritual Leadership. Together we will consider the deeply transformative potential of covenant, extending beyond the behavior management box we keep it in and inviting us into the heart of belonging.
This program is designed for religious professionals and lay people to learn together. Because shifts in congregational practice require sustained group effort, you are strongly encouraged to attend this workshop with a team of five or more.
*Attendance at the Fall 2019 workshop “Claiming Our Spiritual Leadership” is not a prerequisite.*
PRESENTERS: Your New England Region UUA Staff Team
- $25 per person when you register 1-3 from your congregation
- $15 per person when you register 4 or more from your congregation
While we know that not all individuals are in a position to pay these fees, since the learning is on behalf of the congregation, we assume that congregations will select and financially support participants who come. However, if these fees are prohibitive even to the congregation, please contact us at newengland [at] uua [dot] org. We do not want cost to keep anyone away.
NOTE TO ATTENDEES: Please bring your own BAG LUNCH.
REGISTRATION CLOSES: Monday, March 9, or maximum capacity.
CANCELLATIONS & REFUNDS:
- If you or a teammate needs to cancel a registration before the event, please contact us as early as possible, by one week before the event at the latest, and a refund will be provided less a $5.00 administrative fee. Within one week of the event refunds less a $5.00 administrative fee will only be given in the case of illness or emergency. Refunds will not be available after the event for non attendance. We ask for your understanding in respecting this policy, which supports our organizational efforts and expenses.
- The New England Region UUA may need to cancel an event in the case of low enrollment. We will contact you well in advance of the event and provide prompt, full refund of registration fees.