Event format: Online & on-site
Dates & times:
- Passed: Friday, October 20, 2023, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm EDT
- Passed: Saturday, October 21, 2023, 9:00 am - 8:00 pm EDT
- Passed: Sunday, October 22, 2023, 12:00 pm - 6:30 pm EDT
Type of event: Training
Paula Cole Jones leads an updated version of the unique and acclaimed program partnering with experienced UU trainers Dr. Leon Spencer and Lutricia Callair.
The following Boston area UU co-sponsors invite all to participate:
Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry (UUUM) Roxbury – Melrose UU Church
First Parish Lexington – Follen Church Lexington
UU Wellesley Hills – First Parish UU Brookline – First Parish Concord
Do you wish to deepen your understanding of how race and ethnicity play out in our institutions and our daily lives? This 2-½ day workshop is open to everyone–of any faith or none–who wants to journey toward making a stand against racism and nurturing a multicultural future.
Friday, October 20, 2023, 6:00–9:00pm
Saturday, October 21, 2023, 9:00am–8:00pm
Sunday, October 22, 2023, Noon–6:30pm
The workshop includes presentations, discussions, videos, exercises, and small group work. Offered remotely by program developer Paula Cole Jones with the support of two experienced trainers, the program can be taken at home via Zoom, or in the company of others on Saturday and Sunday in UU sanctuary locations TBD. There are multiple breaks each day, including a 2-hour lunch break on Saturday, allowing time to gather, make connections, and break bread together.
What are we trying to do?
- To develop a shared analysis of racism and its individual, institutional, and cultural manifestations
- To begin to apply this common understanding to the history, culture, and institutional structure of our society
- To envision the next steps in taking action.
- The long history of racism and resistance to
racism in the Americas
- Defining racism
- Exploring the effects of racism on people
of color and on white people
- Dismantling racism
- Claiming and shaping an anti-racist identity
Registration is required. Enrollment is limited so sign up today! $170 per participant and $85 for second and third person in the same household.