Ballou Channing District (BCD)
Ballou Channing District is made up of forty-five congregations in Rhode Island, southeastern Massachusetts, including the South Shore, Cape Cod and the Islands. The district is named after Hosea Ballou who is sometimes called "the father of American Universalism" and William Ellery Channing, a transcendalist who inspired Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Bylaws & Annual Meeting Documents
All documents are PDF files unless otherwise stated.
The move to the New APF is a move away from a per-member calculation, and is a move to a percentage of certified expenditures. This request includes your congregation’s contribution to the Annual Program Fund AND your district or region.
The Ballou Channing District offers four grants annually, in addition to Chalice Lighters opportunities. The grants are listed below; all are to be used for development and extension of Unitarian Universalist purposes and principles. Opportunities for development and extension are to be considered by the UUA and BCD in the broadest possible way. Click here for the BCD grant guidelines (PDF) and Grants Application (PDF) (annual deadline is June 1). See also the evaluation worksheet (PDF) used by the board.
- Sandwich Trust Funds Grant
- Olney Street Congregation (Unitarian) Fund
- Woonsocket Fund
- Rev. Bill Zelazny Collaborative Grant
The Chalice Lighters program raises money for grants to help congregations develop and implement plans to promote growing and retaining members. Projects can include supporting professional ministerial or religious education staffing, renovation or expansion of facilities, or funding of special programs for start-up and membership growth activities. Click here for a program description (PDF) and grant application (PDF). Funds for these grants are raised by donations from individuals in our district. These special contributors are called Chalice Lighters. Chalice Lighters pledge to give at least $10 as many as three times a year, when a “Call” goes out for a specific project. Each Chalice Lighter receives a direct communication asking for his or her pledged contribution when a “Call” is made. Apply to be a Chalice Lighter (PDF).
Board of Directors
- President: Ralph E. Brown (2018), First Parish UU, Hingham, MA, rbrown [at] uua [dot] org
- Vice President: Rev. Sarah Person (2018), First UU Society, Middleboro, MA, sperson [at] verizon [dot] net
- Secretary: Charlie Donnelly (2018), UU Congregation of South County, Peace Dale, RI, irisandcharlie [at] gmail [dot] com
- Treasurer: Rev. Paul Sprecher (2018), First Parish Church, UU, Bridgewater, MA, psprecher [at] uuma [dot] org
- Rev. Catherine Cullen (2018), First Parish Church in Duxbury, MA, therevcatherine [at] aol [dot] com
- William Clark (2018), First Parish UU Church of Scituate, MA, wclarkhing [at] msn [dot] com
- Mary Lu Love (2018), Unity Church, North Easton, MA, marylu [dot] love [at] comcast [dot] net
- Beth McGregor (2019), Unitarian Church of Sharon, MA, epjmcg [at] aol [dot] com
- Kate Sullivan (2020), First Parish Church, UU, of Kingston, MA, sullivankate [at] comcast [dot] net
- Rosemary Donahoe (2019) First Parish Church, UU, Kingston, MA, rmdonahoe17 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Christine Korbin (2018), First UU Society, Middleboro, MA, chriskorben [at] gmail [dot] com