General Assembly 2018 Event 215
Waiting for leaders to “drop into our laps” is inefficient, frustrating, and ultimately unsuccessful. To meet the call for effective leadership, we need to be proactive and innovative. We will share strategies for cultivating leaders and discuss the challenges and solutions in meeting this critical need.
Slides & Resources
- Slides (PPT, 27 pages) (PDF, 28 pages)
- Unitarian Universalist Association of Membership Professionals
- Spectrum of Belonging
- UUA Curriculum: Harvest the Power (contact Marie Luna for modification sample)
- Sample Leadership Covenants
- Theology of Leadership by Phil Lund
Many Unitarian Universalists experience a deepening commitment to their faith and congregation as a call to accept a position of leadership. This one-hour workshop focuses on helping lay leaders grow in spirit as they grow as leaders.
- Congregational Leadership During Anxious times by Nancy Heege (YouTube)
When congregations experience transition or change, they tend to get anxious. In this 48-minute webinar, we look at the causes of anxiety, the manifestations of an anxious system and what leaders can do to influence the system during difficult times.
- Adaptive Leadership for Tricky Challenges by Rev. Renee Ruchotzke and David Pyle (YouTube)
What do you do when a challenge is so new or puzzling that your experienced leaders are stumped, there are no “best practices” to turn to, or the possibility of a solution just seems impossible? With adaptive leadership techniques you can help your congregation work together to find a solution. This is a one-hour video.
- Four Questions to Ask Before Every Meeting by Dan Hotchkiss
This one-page article shares four key questions can help almost any meeting to be better focused, more satisfying, and productive. You can ask these questions in advance, or you can ask them shortly after the meeting has begun.
- Creating Meetings that Matter by Mark Bernstein (YouTube)
This 19-minute video highlights spiritual and practical ideas for running efficient, effective, and faith-based meetings.
- A Call: People get Ready by Rev Vanessa Southern
This is a link to the text and video for a General Assembly sermon from 2013. The sermon is an inspiring invitation to live Unitarian Universalism large, into this new awakening, this age of spirit. The sermon starts at 1:21. You are encouraged to experience the whole worship and turn up the music for a special treat!