Management Skills for Leadership Development
Management Skills—one of the recommended leadership development competencies—include:
- Basic skills to keep the congregation running smoothly and effectively.
- Understanding the fiscal responsibilities of leadership.
- Strong understanding of governance.
A sense of responsibility and commitment to the stewardship of the institutional aspects of the church, but with an understanding that the institution exists to serve the mission.
- Attend webinars.
- Attend district and regional trainings and conferences.
- Subscribe to leadership and church management blogs.
- Recruiting Volunteers (YouTube, 5:45): Do's and Don'ts
- How Do I Grow Thee? (YouTube, 5:47): Five Ways of Growing Your Congregation, Mark Bernstein
- Sticky Teams (YouTube, 1:13): Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page by Larry Osborne
- Patrick Lencioni: Five Dysfunctions Of a Team (YouTube, 6:46): "The Absence of Trust"
- Patrick Lencioni: The Importance of Improving Your Meetings (YouTube, 21:01)
- Why Management Is Vital to Your Leadership by David Dye
- Goal-Focused Evaluation by Dan Hotchkiss
- How to Spend Your Board's Time by Dan Hotchkiss
- How to Stop Having Stupid Staff Meetings by Karin Hurt
- A Discerner’s Guide to Congregational Governance by Dan Hotchkiss
- Controlling Conflicts of Interest (MP3) by Dan Hotchkiss
- Helping Committees Be Their Best by Robert Leventhal
- Green Eyeshades and Rose-Colored Glasses by Dan Hotchkiss
- How to Talk About Finances So Non-Financial Folks Will Listen by The Bridgespan Group
- How to Know if There Are Too Many People in Your Meeting by Harvard Business Review Staff
- Creating Meetings that Matter, Mark Bernstein
- Organizational Health: A Powerful Advantage with Patrick Lencioni
- Robert's Rules and Meeting Management with Lisa Presley
- Resource Library from the Management Center Includes sample agendas, delegation tools, role expectation templates, hiring guides, orientation guides, etc.
- Congregational Resource Guide
- Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Congregational Management
- Big Ideas for Small Congregations: A Friendly Guide for Leaders by consultants and UUs Ellen Germann-Melosh, Jane Dwinnell
- The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business by Patrick Lencioni
- Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business by Patrick Lencioni